This is a bitter sweet post for me to write, saying goodbye and preparing to pass the marketing baton at MC Companies. Perhaps that sounds crazy corny, but the last (30) Months have been storybook perfect for me. Thank You Lesley Brice for such a great time at MC Companies. I ventured across the nation two and a half years ago for a project with a very specific scope and defined timeframe, that expanded into much much more. I had written an article; What If Your Apartment Marketing Were an Asset As a rule, I am not a “What If” Guy, as it seems a lean toward procrastination. But for moment, “What If” the Apartment Executive opened his or her mind to a different way of Marketing Apartments. “What If” they acted as Red Bull Media did and create a stand alone Content Machine that produced revenue as opposed to being an expense. “What If” this Stand Alone Content Machine spun off more Leasing Leads than you have available occupancy.
I believed this to my core, that not only was it possible, but I wanted a shot at testing these ideas on a larger scale. So, we packed up and headed West for what we thought would be a short stint, that ended up being over two years, but it is time to get back to Detorit to our Urbane Apartments Business. We have missed it, and it has missed us.
Before meeting Lesley Brice, President and Partner at MC Companies, on a cold and snowy day in Detorit MI, somewhere around 2010, I wrote a vision of what I thought Apartment Websites should look like. Titled Districts and Nieghborhoods I sent it to a few industry friends, but nothing happened. Looking back on that article, it is amazingly close to hat we built out for MC Companies in creating their MCLife Brand. We were drawn into the desert, mountains and ruggedness of Arizona. I spent nearly every Saturday for two years off road exploring. It was a hoot for sure. It seems as we age, work can get it the way, but that didn’t seem to happen at MC, they place a high value on not being in the office after 5:00PM and weekend work. That in and of itself was a new frontier for me. I worked hard during the week, and we explored the backroads and trails in my off time. It was truly a ton of fun. We accomplished more than just a few milestones over that two plus year trek.
- We Built a Brand; We landed on the branding idea of Eat/Shop/Play and Launched MCLife. We developed a new logo with an active look and feel, coupled with the MC tagline Sharing the Good Life! Our goal was to replace the reliance of traditional ILS apartment marketing with Content Marketing and self generated leasing leads.
- We Created Digital Assets; under the MCLife Brand, by ditching Rented Websites, we built out Regional Websites. Our goal was to replace the reliance of traditional ILS apartment marketing with Content Marketing and self generated leasing leads. Everything Hyper… Local eat, shop, and play all in your Tucson neighborhood! Here’s our go at providing you with the best 5 places to eat, shop and play within 5 minutes or 5 miles from each of our MCLife Apartment Communities.
- We Created Go Solo Tours; Your offline behavior greatly affect the outcome and result. One such piece is Go Solo Tours, it screams We Are Different the minute the prospect walks in your door. We increased our Open for Business by 40% without increasing leasing labor, allowing the Leasing Office to be open 8:00 AM to 8:00PM five days a week and 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM sat and Sun. If you want to Rent More Apartments, be Open for Business longer hours. Closing up a Leasing Office before 8:00 PM during the week and not being open all day Sat and Sun is designed with the property management company in mind, not the leasing prospect. Albeit we had some pushback from the sites as we deployed this across (35) Apartment Communities in Seven Regions.
- We Created a Lead to Lease Hub; That is a fancy pants name for a Call Center. Our Lead to Lease Hub effectively capture and manage all Inbound Leasing Leads for our 8,000 Apartment Units throughout the seven Southwest Regions we operate our apartment communities in.
- Digital Domination; We were obsessed with the numbers. Our Social Outreach Marketing for Apartments, Friends, Fans and Followers Base grew and the MCLife Digital Footprint Expanded to;
- 57,539 Facebook Fans
- 27,784 Twitter Followers
- 8,207 Instagram Followers.
We are well down the path of branding MC-Housemates, MC-After55, MC-CoWork and MCMedia. There is still much to do, but we have established a great base and platform in which to evolve. We have some excellent candidates that we are interviewing now, with the intent on having someone in place before our year end company retreat. Should YOU have interest, and think you may be a fit to pick up things from here, kindly contact me at EBrown@MCCompnaies.com or Lesley Brice LBrice@MCCompanies.com
More to follow on what is in store for 2017!
RDA Press, (Rich Dad Advisors) are publishing Eric’s first book,Apartments to Hot Sauce; RED HOT RECIPES FOR YOUR BUSINESS START-UP, to be on the bookstore shelves in MARCH-2017!